Saturday, October 15, 2011

Analyzing Student Data in a Spreadsheet

Spreadsheets...Ahh! Actually, I had a fairly easy time using Google Spreadsheets, but did have a few moments of, "how in the world do I do this?" The average function was easy to use. I had difficulty making the chart because it took me a while to figure out how to fit every students' name on it. At first I wanted a line graph, because I think they show trends the best but the students names couldn't fit so I opted for a basic bar graph. The other part I couldn't figure out (and still haven't) is how to label the horizontal axis (Students).

When analyzing this data, the first thing that jumps out at me is how similar the test scores are for these 12 students. Except for Walter and Katherine, the other students' scores gradually rose. And everyone except Queen and Katherine did significantly better on the last (10th) test. Maybe that test was easier than the others or maybe the students improved, like every teacher hopes. As a teacher, I would make sure the test improvement growth was an accurate interpretation that the students had actually improved. I would also refer Walter, Katherine and Queen for extra support.

Please check out my spreadsheet skills.

1 comment:

  1. Lots of 'how do I do this?', but pretty intuitive to figure out most of them. Nice effort!

    ReplyDelete